Erwan and I took the class with Dr. Renee today. Very useful as always. Couple of things to remember:
- Turn off the TV even if you think your child is not watching. It is still a background noise that the child needs to tune out in order to concentrate on something else she/he is doing. It also creates a negative habit to ignore surrounding sounds in order to complete the task currently doing.
- There is no TV that will benefit a child before at least 2 years old. Period.
- Scaffolding: Parent should guide the child with questions when solving the problem but not providing answers for him. Let the child struggle to figure out himself. Less talk is better.
- Describe if something is done well (“You work hard to complete this puzzle) rather then label it (i.e. “God job”)
- For 20 min each day engage in Floor Play – Let the child lead, play by his rules